Our Experienced Optometrist Can Treat Eye Floaters in Bloomfield Hills
Eye floaters are one of many different types of eye conditions that people experience. If you're searching online for an "eye doctor near me," Barry P. August, O.D., P.C. is located in Bloomfield Hills, MI, and we can treat eye floaters as well as provide a variety of essential optometry services.
What Are Eye Floaters?
Eye floaters are spots that cloud or interrupt your vision. They appear to be floating in front of your eyes, but they're actually located inside your eye. There are several symptoms you may experience if you have eye floaters.
- Floaters may appear as gray or black spots.
- They may appear stringy or look like cobwebs.
- They may seem to move quickly if you look directly at them.
What Causes Eye Floaters?
They are often age-related and are normally painless. As your eyes age, the shape of your eyeballs may change slightly. There are other reasons that a person may experience eye floaters.
- Migraines or Other Types of Headaches
- Torn Retina
- Certain Medications
- Recent Surgeries
- Diabetic Retinopathy
Should You See an Optometrist?
Though normally not a significant issue, sometimes floaters are an indication of a serious eye problem. You will want to see an optometrist if the following changes occur.
- You are suddenly seeing many more eye floaters than usual.
- You’re experiencing flashes of light in the eye that has the floaters.
- You’re experiencing a loss of peripheral vison.
How Are Eye Floaters Treated?
There are generally a few treatment options available when treating this type of eye condition. Some people may decide not to have them treated if they aren't interfering with their ability to carry out daily activities. A few other options include the following:
- Vitrectomy - This is a surgical procedure that includes a small incision.
- Lasers - This causes the eye floaters to break up. It's important to note that if not done correctly, eye damage could occur.
How Can Barry P. August, O.D., P.C. Help?
At Barry P. August O.D., P.C. in Bloomfield Hills, MI, we treat a variety of eye conditions, including eye floaters. If you're looking for an eye doctor near me, Barry P. August O.D., P.C. provides several services including eye and vision exams, contact exams, and solutions for those who have trouble wearing contacts. We also offer computer vision treatment and before and after operative care for LASIK surgery patients. if you need an experienced optometrist who can treat a variety of eye conditions, contact Barry P. August O.D., P.C. in Bloomfield Hills, MI, for more information.